catsandflowers

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Feeding Frenzy

One evening, several years ago, Jim and my son Craig and I witnessed quite a spectacle while hanging out on the pier in Santa Cruz. It was a gorgeous evening, with skies and water cast in mauves and pinks.

We had been watching the sea lions and pelicans, and just in general enjoying ourselves. It was part of our almost weekly routine, after selling at the flea market, to go to the pier, have something to eat, and enjoy the sea around us. All of a sudden, there was a tremendous influx of seabirds and sea lions; pelicans diving into the water, other birds joining the melee – hundreds of air and water beings swirling around. It was quite incredible.

There must have been a huge concentration of fish that had attracted all of the birds and water occupants, and it was totally amazing watching them feed. I don’t believe I have ever seen so many pelicans in one place. Apparently there must have been enough food to go around, as this display lasted for a long time, as the sun was setting. The colors in the atmosphere, the wildlife, the beautiful water, would have been nearly impossible to capture in a photo, but I still wish I had been able to take one anyway, for posterity.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:19 PM, May 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll never forget that. The closest thing I've seen since was the feed last summer that Chris mentioned on his blog, and that really wasn't anywhere near the same.

     
  • At 10:51 AM, May 16, 2005, Blogger Rita Xavier said…

    I feel that I can't really find the words that describe the evening - too much time has passed. But you and I know that it was a wonderful sight.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home