catsandflowers

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Fireflies

Remember when you used to chase “lightening bugs” on a balmy summer evening, perhaps even capturing a few in a canning jar? That was a favorite East Coast pastime when growing up – I don’t know about other parts of the country.

In the summer of 1990, we had our motorhome parked in my sister Jamie’s driveway in the Finger Lakes area of New York State, after wintering in Florida. Jamie lives in the country, a mile outside Ovid, my hometown. We experienced the most fantastic evening as thousands of fireflies lit up the night; in the yard, over the fields, down the road, every where we looked. It was better than any computer generated scene; an absolute phenomenon.

They were high in the sky, down on the ground and in between. I do not remember ever witnessing such a spectacle, and I have been on this earth quite some time. It was a completely magical evening, straight out of a fairytale. The fireflies were there for hours, as far as I can remember. Something jogged my memory of it the other day, although I have thought about it from time to time. I doubt that I will ever see that many “lightening bugs” again in my lifetime, but if I do, I will let you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home