catsandflowers

Thursday, January 26, 2006

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

I decided to come out of hibernation long enough to attend dress rehearsal of a play at Contra Costa Civic Theatre again.

“One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” showed the talents of the variety of actors who perform at the Civic Theatre. It was witty and well done. I was kept entertained through the whole performance.

It seemed to me that the actors chosen for the various parts were well suited to the people they were to play. Some of them were rather outstanding, and I will remember them for a long time.

The Civic Theatre is a “cozy” venue, and you become totally involved with the characters. Sometimes they jump offstage practically into your lap. That makes for “in your face” acting. That only happened once last night, while chasing an errant basketball, but in previous plays, the audience area was an integral part of the setting. During “Annie” a couple of years ago, the dog decided to take a walk.

I always love going to the dress rehearsals. Upon arrival, I settle into my seat, waiting for the gift of the presentation – waiting to see what surprises are in store. It is like “here, we present you with this performance, to have and to hold, for your contemplation, for your joy for the evening”. It is such a wonderful feeling to soak in a live performance, whether it be a play, a concert, ballet, or the opera, and I wish I could partake more often.

I am unable to do so. The price of tickets these days is prohibitive. Once upon a time, in Buffalo, I was able to attend anything I wanted to for zero money or a mere pittance. Of course, the main reason was that I worked for the various “companies”, as a volunteer in most cases. I only had a paid job with the Buffalo Philharmonic. More on that at a later date.

Anyway, it seemed strange getting away from ebay for a bit. I have been working so hard trying to sell all of my signed jewelry, from the 30’s to the 60’s. I am doing quite well right now, and want to continue until the bubble bursts again, as it has in the past for me. That is why I have not been writing on here. I spend all of my creative energy writing descriptions for the many wonderful and great items I am listing. By the end of the day, I am brain dead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home