catsandflowers

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Hatshepsut

I finally had a chance to return to the de Young yesterday. It had been in the back of my mind for a long time. I truly needed to get there and check the exhibits I didn’t see in October.

The Hatshepsut : From Queen to Pharaoh exhibit had not yet opened when I was there, and it was a must. I am totally thankful that I was able to see this great installation before its end date of February 5.

The unprecedented exhibition of over 260 objects from twenty-three museums throughout the world highlights the reign of the female pharaoh Hatshepsut, who shared the Egyptian throne for nearly two decades (1479 – 1458 B.c.); first as regent for, then as king and senior co-ruler with her nephew, Thutmose III. It is the largest and most comprehensive exhibition of art focusing on Hatshepsut and her time ever staged: presenting a vast treasure of monumental royal statuary and relief; superb sculpture representing members of the royal court; and a wide variety of ceremonial objects, finely crafted furniture and boxes, dazzling jewelry, and other exquisite personal items that tell the fascinating reign while revealing the diverse and exquisite production of the early Eighteenth Dynasty.

There were so many items that I really loved, but I believe I liked the gold jewelry best of all. It was very amazing. I had a gold ring that I recently sold, made in an unusual way, with a scarab in a setting that revolved. The gold was done in a rope-like method near the part with the swiveling scarab. In the jewelry exhibit yesterday, there were a couple of rings made the same way. I knew my ring came from Egypt, and it was hallmarked, but I obviously don’t believe that it was of the same age.

I saw so many items that made the old brain of mine start working in high gear, soaking it all up. Many artifacts were in such pristine condition that it was hard for me to fathom their age.

After I spent a few hours checking out the Hatshepsut exhibit, which is on the lowest level, where, apparently, traveling exhibits will be located, I had lunch in the café. Then I went to the second floor, to check out the Oceania and Africa sections. There were many very interesting items in that area, and I actually liked a lot of the pieces from New Guinea.

I saved my favorite American paintings for last. I had to visit them again, of course. I realized as I was walking through the galleries that I acquired a sense of peace and tranquillity when surrounded by paintings of the American masters. It was as if I was home again. It is where I belong, with art that is totally pleasing to me, with magnificent paintings of the Hudson River School and earlier. California paintings in the deYoung are truly beautiful. I can never soak up enough of this art.

Of course, when I go to the Legion of Honor, I have a chance to see European art, of which I am also a great admirer. Then I have to spend time soaking up those paintings, too.

I finally left after spending many hours at the deYoung. My feet and legs were protesting. I would have to wait for another time to visit my paintings again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home