catsandflowers

Monday, March 14, 2005

Show Time

The past three days working at the Marin Civic Center has rather tired me out, but I still plan to go to my writing group tonight.

Business was not great, but at least I did make some money, and also got rid of a few things that take up room in my house. I had fun with my dealer friends, and luckily, some of my friends decided to sell at the show for the first time. That gave me many more hours of hanging out with them, chatting about the jewelry, helping each other with identification, and comparing notes.

The jewelry field is immense and involved, starting with very early pieces, through the Victorian period, then into the 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s. Pieces from the 50’s are also of interest, but much more easily obtained than the earlier objects. Items from the 50’s, and even 60’s, can be very valuable, but not as much so as those from the 20’s to 40’s. The 40’s and 50’s jewelry pieces that are signed by the leading designers of the period, are particularly desirable. It is always wonderful to study these treasures, and check out the brooches, necklaces, bracelets and earrings that your fellow dealers have displayed. Generally, I am speaking of costume jewelry, with faux stones set in white metal that is rhodium or gold plated, and sterling jewelry from the 40’s that is made to resemble fine jewelry. The rhinestones, clear, or colored, look “real”, and one can find magnificent examples, designed by artists who started in the fine jewelry field.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home