catsandflowers

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Thank You for the Music

That is the name of the concert I attended last week at Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco. It was absolutely incredible! I thoroughly loved it, as I am a huge fan of choral music, especially when done by a very large group.

The San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus performed, with the Community Women’s Orchestra and Stockholms Gaykor (Stockholm’s Gay Choir). Daughter-in-law Becky plays violin in the Women’s Orchestra, and it was her first major concert. The venue was definitely impressive. Anyone would want to perform at Davies.

I had a great seat, in right orchestra, ten rows back. Chris and two of Becky’s friends were in left orchestra. I was looking for Chris before the concert started, then saw a movie-star-handsome guy, distinguished-looking with grey streaks in his hair, dark suit coat, and decided it must be my son. He and Becky made a beautiful couple, with Becky in her black clothes – long black skirt, and her long dark hair flowing from the barrette she was wearing. She is a pretty girl, an asset to an orchestra. I guess I shouldn’t base her contribution on looks alone.

I didn’t know what to expect at a concert of the Gay Men’s Chorus. I was not certain what types of music I would hear, but I loved all of it. I am a bit of a snob when it comes to music, with classical and opera being my favorites, although music from shows and certain other music appeals to me also. I knew the reputation the Chorus has for being First Rate. Robert Seeley’s music from Naked Man, Exile and Metamorphosis was wonderful. This music spans the years from 1996 to 2004, and when I saw the dates, I thought it would be too modernistic for my taste, but the notes are absolutely beautiful.

Stockholms Gaykor is an impressive group. They performed many great pieces, and when they did the Village People Medley, the audience went wild. Talk about enthusiasm. The Gaykor, plus SFGMC Alumni combined voices with the Gay Men’s Chorus to totally fill the stage, along with the Women’s Orchestra, and totally fill the hall with a glorious sound that caused a standing ovation. I was so happy that I was there.

I had never been to Davies and it was way past time to check out that place. It is great. After all, MTT hangs out there (Michael Tilson Thomas). He was with the Buffalo Philharmonic, then went to Europe for a while before taking over the helm at the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. He has made San Francisco his home for years now.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:10 AM, July 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was interesting and wonderful, stumbling over your page here to read about your experience at Davies Symphony Hall.

    I was actually that bearded guy who played clarinet in Stockholm's Gaykor that very same evening.

     
  • At 6:27 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Rita Xavier said…

    Sorry I haven't replied sooner, Patrick. I have been away on vacation.

    I am thrilled that you chose to comment on my blog, and it is hard for me to express to you how very much I loved the concert. I am happy that you were a part of that wonderful music.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home