catsandflowers

Monday, November 01, 2004

Trick or Treat

I was totally exhausted last night when it was time to answer the door and hand out treats. We got up at 3:00 A.M. to go to an antique market and try to get rid of some of our "stuff". After being in the sun all day, plus wind in the afternoon, I would have preferred just totally collapsing on the couch with the TV.

However, as soon as the first little ones came up the porch steps and I saw their faces, no masks here, I was really into the whole trick or treat thing. This is not your normal middle class WASP neighborhood. Our trailer park has become a completely integrated multi-cultural community. The sweet boy and girl faces saying "Trick or Treat" were a mix of Mexican, Fiji Islanders (Indians), and African Americans. They were in groups, accompanied by their very pretty young mothers, laughing and having a great time.

The tiniest ones, or those without English yet, did not say the words, but just held up their bags or baskets. You could feel the awe in their little bodies as they looked at their treasures, and walked back down the steps.

I know that I would always want to live in a multi-cultural neighborhood, so that I could be exposed to these beautiful young people all of the time. This is not a high class place, but there are always smiles on faces, cheerful greetings.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home