catsandflowers

Saturday, October 09, 2004

My Hummingbird

cats&flowers

A bit ago I stepped out onto the porch, and my hummingbird was flitting about from flower to flower, getting refreshment. I had just been in that area deadheading - must be he was waiting for me to leave. I thought I heard him, but wasn't sure. Sometimes he just visits the flowers while I am standing right there. I had a chance to get a better idea of the flowers he visits. Most of the time I catch him near the end of his visits, therefore I don't know every flower he likes.

I wasn't totally sure of the Toadflax (Linaria purpurea), but he definitely likes that. He spent time in the lavender, which has all new blossoms and is growing like crazy right now. "Rose Queen" salvia is a favorite, plus a weird plant that I can't remember - a new plant at the nursery this year. Of course, he also drank from the other flowers I have mentioned in an earlier entry.

What a delightful way to spend a few minutes. For my East Coast family and friends - my hummingbird is bigger than yours. He is an Anna's, and will be a visitor for the entire winter, if I provide food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home